• NIE. If the purchaser is a foreigner, he/she needs to apply for a N.I.E. = número de identificación de extranjeros = foreigner’s registration number at the Police. You can apply for this number with your original passport or with a certified notarised copy of the passport, together with the application form and “tasas” (bank fees you have to pay previously), and a power of attorney normally granted to your solicitor.
  • ESCRITURA. Copy of title deed of the seller. With this document issued by a Notary public you can check all details related to the property, such as ownership and charges through a “nota simple” and “ficha catastral”.
  • NOTA SIMPLE: Updated information from the Land Registry = Registro de la Propiedad regarding ownership = titularidad, charges = cargas such as mortgages or “embargos” which can be annotated due to a court order or an administrative order for unpaid debts. To apply for it, you either need “datos registrales” = finca number, folio, tomo, libro, Registro or IDUFIR (identificador único de fincas registrales).The application can be done online at www.registradores.org.
  • FICHA CATASTRAL: With the “referencia catastral” = cadastral reference number you can log in the Oficina virtual del catastro (www.sedecatastro.gob.es)and get a plan of the property showing square meters and boundaries.
    This number is shown on the annual IBI – RECEIPT (recibo del IBI).
  • IBI = IMPUESTO SOBRE BIENES INMUEBLES. Every property has to pay an annual tax to the Town Hall. You locate outstanding debts at the Oficina de Patronato or Town Hall by indicating the “referencia catastral”. Only rustic land or farm land (fincas rústicas) have an exemption and DO NOT pay this tax.
  • TASAS DE BASURA = FEES FOR RUBBISH COLLECTION. Every property owner pays twice a year, every six months, fees to the Town Hall for rubbish collection. You can check debts through the same cadastral reference number as these payments are linked to the IBI.
  • GASTOS DE COMUNIDAD (DE PROPIETARIOS) = management fees. If the property is part of a “Comunidad the Propietarios” = Community of owners, each owner has to pay management fees for the maintenance of common areas like swimming pool, garden, gym etc. according to their quote/cuota. When the sale is completed at the Notary, the seller has to provide the Notary with a certificate signed by the Administrator and the President of the Community stating that all fees have been paid.
  • UTILITY BILLS (water, electricity, telephone, gas, house insurance etc.). Before the sale is completed at the Notary, the seller has to provide the buyer’s lawyer with the last utility bills in order to check outstanding payments for the supply. The buyer might NOT take over certain supplies, such as telephone or house insurance. In this case, the seller’s lawyer has to make sure that these are cancelled. Once the sale has been completed at the Notary, the buyer’s lawyer applies for the contracts and direct debits at the bank to be changed.
  • CCEE. Certificado de Eficiencia Energética.  A technician does this job for aprox. 200 Euros.
  • MORTGAGES/HIPOTECAS. Many times, the seller has a mortgage loan and this has to be cancelled at the same time at the Notary when the sale is completed through a notarised document called “Escritura de cancelación de hipoteca y carta de pago”. The banker’s representative shall collect the amount pending through a banker’s draft at the same time as the sale is signed. The amount to be paid to the seller shall then be split in 2 cheques. For example: A house is sold for 200.000.-€, but there is a mortgage and the amount pending at the time when the property sale is completed is 100.000.-€. The buyer shall the issue 2 banker’s drafts: 100.000.-€ to the seller, 100.000.-€ to the Bank.

    Mitra Kaviani
    Abogada – Solicitor

Magna Spain Consulting SL

We can help you get the best possible deal